Wednesday, March 4, 2009

So What is Easter Anyway?

Easter is coming up and it took me by surprise. Not being religious and never having been to a church service in my life, makes these sporadic religious holidays sudden surprises. I guess even non Christians know when Easter arrives because every grocery store, target and Walgreens fill their shelves with peeps, chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs. I know vaguely that Easter relates to some time in Jesus' life, but I don't see the connect with Jesus to plastic eggs filled with chocolate and bunnies. I read this article and learned that officially Easter was the day (or around the day) that Jesus was "resurrected"three days after his crucifixion, and two days after Good Friday. No offensive to any one's beliefs but to a totally non religious person these events seem a little absurd, especially in this age of technology and modern science, I just don't comprehend it. But something I do comprehend it the tradition of going on Easter egg hunts, and getting a basket full of candy from the mysterious Easter Bunny. This is a tradition that, even with my non-beliefs my family and I celebrate without fail. How did this odd religious observance end up so transformed in to a consumer and family holiday that even non- Christians practice? The answer lies in the many centuries worth of blending religion, music, tradition, pop culture and consumerism that creates our modern Easter Sunday in to a small but fun family get together, with chocolate, bunnies, Jesus Christ and most important community.
(I know we aren't supposed to use Wikipedia but this article was REALLY long and had good information on the transformation of the holiday that I couldn't find anywhere else)
Many authors. "Easter." Wikipedia.com. 23 Mar. 2004. 4 Mar. 2009 .

No comments: