Sunday, March 22, 2009

Twilight and the Obamas

Last night I watched Twilight for the third time, this time at home with my neighbor’s newly released DVD. Of course like all other girls in the universe I have read the entire Twilight series, although I read them about a year before it became a phenomenon. As I was engrossed in the catchy romance, I couldn’t help but wonder if this ever really occurs in real life. It is well known that over 40% of marriages don’t last and I have plenty of friends with divorced parents. I am certain true, pure, irrevocable love exists, but does it always last? I decided to love to the countries number one couple at the moment, the Obamas. Michelle and Barack Obama have a very interesting love story that you can relate to even when the two seem so distant up doing important business in the white house and running a country as well as a family. I think they could make a movie out of it, it is so sweet and romantic; the kind of thing we all wish for. Like many love stories it began at work, after months of Michelle’s rejection Obama finally won a date with his future wife. After two years of dating he finally popped the question with a dessert box with a ring inside. After a beautiful wedding at Trinity United Church of Christ they honeymooned in California. “It was magical, they were clearly in love with each other,” said one guest. But the couple had their fair share of turbulent times. During Barack’s difficult 2000 senate election he was almost never home and there were rough times at home. Once Michelle said “You only think of yourself, I never thought I would have to raise a family by myself”. But they got through it and a close friend said, “These are two people who love each other. For me, more importantly, there’s a huge respect on both ends.” While young fiery love is everyone’s dream, like in Twilight, the true judge of a relationship is whether it can last through tense and tough times like the Obamas.

No comments: